Tuesday 29 November 2016

Brads' Choice Pics 3 - Southport Central






Taken way back in mid 2009, this was one of the first photos I took with my then new Sony A900, the lens was a humble 35-70 f4 Minolta and this image was shot at 45mm which is pretty much the optimum setting for "mini beercan" as it is known. Aperture was f9 and shutter 1/125, just in case you wondered.

It was actually a pivotal image, why?  Close examination of the file and others taken at the same time revealed the A900 had a very noisy red channel.  No big deal you think, so did a lot of cameras back then.

Well yes they did, but my frustration with the reds and the desire to do much better led me down a path of experimentation and study, eventually leading me to developing my True Light Capture System, which I still run workshops on and also use regularly to elevate my image quality beyond the norm.

I must say I do like the composition and the final 24 by 30 inch print still looks really great, even after a few years have passed, in particular it impresses with its clarity and overall tonality.


The location was the then new "Southport Central Complex" which is located on the Aussie Gold Coast.  This is the rear entrance, but the colours you see here were used all around the exterior of the complex, though they may have been repainted since I took this image.

In may ways it is typical in feel to a lot of the architectural images I create and on more than a few occasions people have noted that my architectural images look sort of Geoffrey Smart  like, which is a nice compliment.

I really need to finish collecting my favourite architectural pics together and make a nice photobook from them, I have made a couple of starts on the project but never found the time to conclude it.

No comments:

Post a Comment